Thursday, November 6, 2008

My version of the America Dream

This election had another strange effect on me and it related to my version of the American Dream. It has taken a little while to figure out how to talk about it. But I thought of it after writing about the election. I have been fighting major depression for several years. Late this summer many things came to gather that broke through my depression. Some of the things were medical, some were based on the work I have been doing in my therapy, some were spiritual and all of those things have lead to a lot of personal growth. But one thing major thing happened that brought all the other things to a head, the nomination of a little known governor from Alaska to the office of Vice-President. In my life it was a powerful as an electric shot. It broke through all that fog of depression and brought me back to life. Where had I been? How did this happen?

That was my dream in 6th grade, not to be Vice-President, but President of the United States, My doctor told me that age 12, is a time of life when we know what we can do. I like the way it sounds.
I couldn't believe it, here was Sarah Palin living my dream. I certainly had not given her permission to steal my dream.
This was an interesting phenomena, see Hilary Clinton had never struck this chord. I believe this was true because there was Bill. No matter how talented and capable she is, no one knows where she would have ended up on her own. Sarah Palin was there on her own. It made me mad. That's all I can say. Obviousily, John McCain just didn't now about me.

Maybe the truth is that any of us could be President.

So as strange as it may seem, this election awoke in me my own version of the American Dream.
It brought me back to life in a quick and strong way. And I owe it to Sarah Palin. We will see what I do with it.

No comments: